SIXTH FORM ADMISSIONS CRITERIA 2018 - 2019
The school will consider the following factors before deciding to offer a student a place in the Sixth Form:
- The GCSE grade criteria for the course provided has been met (details are set out below and course guidance is available on the school website).
- There are sufficient places available on the proposed course(s) of study.
- Courses will only be offered subject to demand and staff availability.
- First priority will be given to students from within the school, pre-16, and then to external applicants subject to availability.
- PLEASE NOTE: It will not be permitted for students to repeat the same course.
CRITERIA FOR ADMISSION TO THE SIXTH FORM
Evidence that the prospective student satisfies the entry requirement for A level courses as indicated below:
- Core Pathway of 3 A levels: a total point score of at least 36 in the student’s best 8 subjects with at least a grade 5 in Mathematics and English Language
- Extended Core Pathway of 3 A Levels and 1 AS level: a total point score of at least 48 in the student’s best 8 subjects with at least a grade 5 in Mathematics and English Language.
- Extended Pathway of 4 A Levels: a total point score of at least 56 in the student’s best 8 subjects with at least a grade 5 in Mathematics and English Language.
The school does not accept the ECDL or equivalent qualifications for point score to study Post 16 courses
ADDITIONAL SUBJECT SPECIFIC CRITERIA
|A level Art / Photography:||GCSE grade 5 in Art / Photography|
|A level Computer Science :||GCSE grade 5 in ICT or Computer Science and a grade 6 in Mathematics|
|A Level English Literature:||GCSE grade 6 in English Literature|
|A level French:||GCSE grade 5 in French|
|A level Geography:||GCSE grade 5 in Geography|
|A level History:||GCSE grade 5 in History|
|A Level Biology, Chemistry & Physics:||GCSE grade 6 in the relevant Separate Science or grades 7,6 for Double Combined Science (A level Physics students must study A level mathematics )|
|A Level Mathematics:||GCSE grade 7 in Mathematics|
|A Level Further Mathematics:||GCSE grade 8 in Mathematics|
|A level Physical Education:||GCSE grade 5 grade in PE|
|A level Religious Studies:||GCSE grade 5 in Religious studies|
|A Level Spanish:||GCSE grade 5 in Spanish|
GCSE Mathematics and English Language retakes are compulsory for those students who do not have a grade 5.
SUITABILITY OF COURSES
We wish to enrol students on courses on which they will be successful. If a student is at risk of not securing a pass for their A level or BTEC course, students will be provided with advice and guidance. If there is no improvement students will no longer be permitted to continue with the subject and will be offered an alternative course.
Why choose the Heathland Sixth Form?
- Outstanding academic results
- Wide choice and combinations of AS and A Level courses
- Successful Oxbridge and Medics programmes
- Enrichment opportunities for ‘Gifted and Talented’ students
- Friendly and supportive environment with a personal tutor
- Extensive UCAS Programme led by a dedicated Academic Tutor
- Full guidance system for careers and Higher Education
- Excellent ICT facilities and independent study area: Advanced Level students are expected to complete 5 hours independent study per subject each week
- Fully qualified, experienced, caring and supportive teachers
- Opportunities for Leadership
- Active social, sports and community programme
- Students eligible to apply for YPLA Bursary
- We do not charge students for text books